Thursday, August 02, 2007

Surprise! I Made Desserts

On Saturday we had a surprise party for my dad. I helped out by doing almost all of the cooking. Since my job was to make all the non-meat dishes, I of course had to make them vegan and awesome. For hor’dourves, I made hummus with veggies and guacamole. For the main dishes we had sesame peanut noodles, corn and black bean salad, grilled veggies, and a bunch of fruit. For dessert I made dark chocolate brownies and carrot cake cupcakes. Since I was the designated photographer for the night, I had a chance to quickly snap pictures of the dessert table before they were gobbled up. I made a ton of brownies so we still have enough brownies to feed an army, though I gave some away to my friend, but the carrot cake cupcakes were devoured.

On a side note, I am going to the beach on vacation for a week but I will be back with a long post. I plan to visit the only vegan restaurant for miles and take plenty of pictures.


Very dark chocolate brownies
topped with powdered sugar
Recipe

Carrot cake cupcakes with basic buttercream frosting
(from VWAV)
My dad LOVES carrot cake so I decided it would be classier to make it in cupcake form. I had two cuppers and ate about a cup of frosting during the prep. My brother and dad had about 6 or more each. I made plenty but they did not make it to the next day.



"I went to a restaurant, and I saw a guy wearing a leather jacket, eating a hamburger, drinking a glass of milk. I said, "Dude, you are a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I will tip you over." "- Mitch Hedburg

12 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, those look SO delicious!

Sheree' said...

What beautiful brownies. I can tell you this, there would be no leftover carrot cupcakes in our home either. My dad loves them. Looks like you did a great job with your cooking!

I hope you have a wonderful vacation. Enjoy the beach!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Great-looking brownies and cupcakes!! All the food you provided for that party sounds incredible.

Enjoy your vacation!! Looking forward to seeing pictures :0)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

p.s. that quote at the end made me laugh out loud, haha

Vegan_Noodle said...

How cool of you to make all of that for your dad, it all sounds wonderful. Your brownies and cupcakes both look yummy! I also found your quote hilarious. :-)

KleoPatra said...

What an awesome, thoughtful daughter you are. Surprise parties are a blast, aren't they!? And i love what you made! Compassionate and decadent! Does it get better than that!?

HAVE A GREAT VACATION!!!

laura k said...

I can't decide--brownies or carrot cupcakes? I guess I'll just have one of each. :)

Have a great vacation!

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome!!!

HARMONIA

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie!

I couldn't find an email link anywhere on your blog - could you email me at ferozan@webguerrilla.com?

Thanks!

Ferozan :)

bazu said...

Hee- I love that quote at the end. Except, he's a cannibalistic cow- even worse! (He might get mad cow disease...)

Your desserts look so good! I spent the entire post trying to decide which I would pick if I had been there. Final call? One of each, of course.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love carrot cake too - cupcakes would be much better than a big cake because you feel like you're getting a big piece that way!

Enjoy your vacation!

monagrow said...

Once you provide the needed information and bitcoin to bank account amount, we exchange and send you the money instantly.